12/07/2015

GIJS BLOM: THE DUTCH ACTOR YOU NEED TO KNOW

How's your Dutch? Bit rusty at the moment? Same here, but don't fret - watching a Gijs Blom movie with subtitles is magical all the same.

Earlier this year whilst browsing Netflix I discovered an interesting looking movie in the Gay genre called Jongens (Boys). Ten minutes in and I was hooked; once the credits were rolling, it had become my favourite movie. I began to research it, looking as I always do for more information to feed my addictive appetite. When I came to find that it was just a small-budget television movie from the Netherlands I was surprised, mainly because of its depth of emotion and character involvement, but also because it was so well executed.

The main actor, Gijs Blom, has since become a minor (read: not very minor) obsession of mine. I covet his looks like a pair of shoes in the window at Harrods, and I find myself totally enraptured in his performances. The irritating part is that, however much I Google, 99% of interviews or information that comes up is in Dutch. Here's what I've been able to gather; Blom's full name is Gijsbrecht Thijmen Matthias Blom (and I thought mine was a handful), born in Amsterdam on January 2 1997, making him only eighteen years old. His first starring (and I might point out, multi-award winning) role was that of Sieger in Boys, but prior to this Blom had smaller roles in movie and television, as well as Dutch voice-overs for films such as Hotel for Dogs. 

As I write this I am listening to Indian Summer, taken from a film in which he had another lead role which I have just watched moments ago. Blom plays Casper in Pijnstillers (Painkillers), adapted from the Carry Slee book of the same name, a heartbreaking yet heartwarming story of the love between a mother and her son, tested when she becomes ill with cancer. I urge you to find and watch this film, however you manage it. It is beautiful and captivating and truly one of the most emotional films I have ever watched, not conforming to cheap gimmicks or cheesy Hollywood plot lines.

Now that the serious part is over, lets just take a moment to appreciate the fact that this guy is seriously beautiful. I haven't seen evidence of him working as a model yet, which is a sorely missed opportunity and one that should be taken advantage of immediately. Gijs is an unexpected heartthrob, and one for the masses at that. Girls and boys alike will fall for his innocent charm and smile. I hope to see a lot more from him in the future, and just as a pre-warning, once you see a movie of his, you will too. 

- Thomas Marrington

No comments :

Post a Comment