11/07/2013

WINCHESTER SCHOOL OF ART: FASHION AND TEXTILES FESTIVAL 2013

In the English suburbs, it is rare for an event to pop up that makes me truly excited. The Winchester School of Art's Fashion and Textiles Festival did exactly that. Over three days the institute offered lectures, exhibitions and workshops, showcasing the school's graduate's work and recruiting industry experts to talk at the school's modern Park Avenue campus. Unfortunately I only heard about this on the first day it started - boo! Because of this nearly everything was sold out by the time I went online to book my tickets, especially the Roger Saul, founder of Mulberry, keynote talk (sob). However I did manage to book tickets for myself and a friend to see a talk on fashion trend forecasting, or 'futurology'. It was a brilliant lecture and I learned a lot, taking notes on my iPad for future reference! It really made me think about how trends graduate from the catwalk; so much of the time we think only of how designer leaks down to high street, but these trends are in fact predicted two years before ('educated guesswork' was how the lecturer described it). A major macro trend 2013 was Hedonism, fuelled by the return to a Great Depression style era and how we are coping with it. Baz Lurhmann's The Great Gatsby was the perfect example of this, and seeing how it influenced Gucci's SS12 collection with flapper style dresses truly confirmed that Hedonism Was Happening. Crazy right, how these futurologists can really predict what will come about?

For more details about the school go to http://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsa

Till next time!

Tom x

No comments :

Post a Comment